From as far back as I can remember, I woke up Saturday mornings to blaring music. It was music that would seep through the walls in our home and jerk me awake from my typical teenage hibernation. You know, the..... sleep til lunchtime years? Music I didn't know or understand or frankly, give a shit about. All I knew was, It was SATURDAY morning Parental Unit, could I have just one damn Saturday morning where I was able to sleep in without being shocked awake by music? Could I please have some
R-E-S-P-E-C-T I mean really, I was Born in the USA too. I never even gave a shit about where Bobby was going OR that he had a flat tire? And that was fine with me, if that mountain wasn't high enough, All I wanted to do was sleep.
I would toss and turn, pillow over my head for an hour before I would actually get out of bed and head down the hall towards the "kids bathroom" where I would see my mom, hair in a bun on top of her head, wearing her cleaning moo-moo, funky chickening her way from the living room to the kitchen. All the windows were open, and the house was on its way to smelling fresh and clean. Having just rolled my lazy teenage ass outta bed, my goal was to reach the bathroom while it was still intact and you could actually use it. Some days, another 5 minutes would cost you a waiting time because the floor wasn't dried or moms head was in the tub, ass shakin' to the music. And no, I didn't think she was sexy. If I were too late, I would just stand there and wait, hoping she'd get done, ready for her to be done, not caring in which direction she walked just wanting her to get out of the damn bathroom! But I assure you, on cleaning day, you didn't cross paths with mom if you wanted to stay alive.
At least twice a month, Saturday mornings were a cleaning ritual when my brother and I were growing up. Mom would wake up on those saturday mornings and would clean house. I mean CLEAN HOUSE. Like, now she cleans house before her maid comes, (Twice a month) but back then, she was the maid so she would CLEAN HOUSE. And she couldn't do it without music. Loud-ass 1970's music. It didn't matter that it was the hip 80's that we were living in.
To this very minute, I can still hear the music. When it comes on the radio, I can still see mom shakin' ass down the hall, remember her grabbing my brother and making him dance with her, while I ducked my way in and out of the bathroom, running to my room for sanctuary. If she didn't catch you and dance with you, she was going to catch you to remind you of your "clothes strewn everywhere" bedroom. Ah... the days of being a teenager. Sometimes, I'm not sure how I survived. But I did. See, Here I am !!
I've never forgotten those Saturday mornings, and I certainly haven't forgotten the music. I'm certain that a Melody can bring back a memory. It happens every single time I hear that grape song. lol
Only now, it's me shakin my ass through my house with the girls staring at ME! I can see the shame in their eyes and feel the embarrassment they share. And I'm proud. Because someday, they are gonna shake their own asses down their hall while their children stare at them in disbelief. Playing Funky music will live on this family !! (ya'll are just gonna have to CLICK! to play it because my internet connection died mid-post and i lost EVERYTHING so i'm on my second post for tonight and it's only MONDAY! I hope this isnt an inclination as to the rest of my week!) Just click and get your jig on! You know you want to.... It's ok, just move your ass to it! (see, i'm providing constant support to those of us wearing floaties)
Monday, January 29, 2007
Traditionally Shakin' Ass.
Posted by kheatherg at Monday, January 29, 2007
Labels: ThisnThat
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)
4 comments:
This is hilarious! And SOOOO true.
I don't clean before the maid! I just go thru the junk mail that manages to stack up on the counter. Who knows I just might win Publishers Clearing House after all we now have 6 "You could be the next PCH winner of 10 bazillion dollars".I still wear That moo-moo that I wore all those years ago. Its faded blue flowers (yes blue flowers..BIG ones)with a few extra paint spots, a hole somewhere in the back, snaps that constantly "pop" open. I love that moo-moo. Gonna give it to KHG when I die to pass on. After all, it has all the "shakin ass" steps memorized....hmmmm maybe I'll get her a CD....
Lol...can you come clean my house? You can play music as loud as you want ;-)!
Too funny! I can totally remember being a trying-to-sleep teenager with my mom seemingly slamming every kitchen cabinet door and clanking together dishes while unloading the dishwasher. I can't wait to wake up my little one that way too ;-)
Post a Comment