CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Simply Awestruck!

My job search lately has sucked. I'm kickin' out resumes left and right to whatever is listed on career builder but there is a catch! You send your resume via the "email your resume" link......blind! You have no clue where your sending it because it goes to the local career builder people who then forward it to the hiring employer, so you basically have to wait and find out if someone calls you and where they are calling from. I hate this. And i also think they should post a salary range in their ad as well but no one listens to me. For example:

Last Thursday, i was called to an interview for a local pest control company. As this is an office manager position, I'm somewhat excited. I would rather stay in a more professional field (i.e Engineering, Attorneys etc.) but I'm desperate. I need a damn job. The interview was set up for this morning at 10 a.m.. Keep in mind that yesterday i was called to interview at a local bank today also, so i set that interview up at 12 noon. This is good timing, and saving gas as far as I'm concerned, and most of my interviews haven't lasted more than an hour (if that long)so the 12-noon interview should be just fine. Right????????????? Wrong!!!!!!!!!

I get to the 10 a.m interview at 9:30 (Willing to wait, i was early and knew it) but they take me right in. Right into a room with 3 other people all filling out applications the size of a Wildlife regulation handbook! This isn't a conference room or any place nice, its a break room of sorts. Long white plastic buffet tables with cheap ass back-hurtin' chairs. But I'm still in "positive, i need a job mode" so i sit down and listen to the ladies spew about filling everything in completely... and "we need a work history dating back to high school"........ and "please complete this background check info page so we can run your background and credit" Which truthfully, pisses me off. I understand the background check if your working in the field or maybe at a bank or something but why would you need a credit check and background check for me to be an office manager? Whatever........ there must be a reason and i still need a job so pen to paper, i went to filling out this application and forms.

And then, 4 more people arrive, sat at the same table and given the same speech.
WTF? I'm feeling a bit like cattle at this point, but HEY- I still need a job.

I complete my paperwork and am herded into another room where the others (People that completed their apps before me) are seated quietly. I sit my nicely dressed ass down and commence to waiting.and waiting.and waiting. As people complete their paperwork they are hussled into the room with us. As the 9Th person enters, the "big guy" enters behind her. He proceeds to talk about the position and interview us as a crowd. I shit you not, nothing one on one, we are being interviewed as a whole.

WTF again?

We (Us cattle) were then herded into another room to take tests. Grammar test, math tests, typing tests, timed test, calculator tests, hell.. I only got through the first 2 tests. By this time, people had begin leaving saying things like " T%his is crazy" and simply "I gotta go"! But not me, I went on about my tests, thinking there has to be a good reason for all this!! Either way, I still needed a job!

At 11:20 I explained to the "big guy" who was hanging out in the front office area the whole time, between cig. breaks at the front door, that I have a 12-noon interview elsewhere and had he explained the length of time needed for this interview, i would have made arrangements. (not verbatim) Nonetheless, I had a better job interview to go to and i had to to go to be there on time. I told him, I would return to complete the test. That was fine.

I left and headed to my next interview, the one that went great, that was professional but probably wont get. (They also have internal people that applied for the job and everyone knows, their the ones who get the job!)But when i got out of that interview, i was smart enough to call the previous people and speak directly with the "big guy". I apologized again, told him I was on my way back (Which I'm not sure if he had any experience with people talking to him in a professional manner) and would like to sit down and discuss the hours and salary of the position when i returned. (None of this is verbatim, so imagine i said it with more manners and class)

How about the "big guy" goes ahead and tells me that the position pays 25k a year. The position supervises 2 lower positions, and literally runs the office. All of this for what? Like 12 bucks an hour? WTF Yet again???? I had been there all morning, being shuffled around like black jack cards, to be told that the position pays 25k a year AND you could almost hear the pride in his voice when he said... "and the company provides a life insurance policy for you"

I think i shit in my pants rights there, i was in sheer awe!

I should have known, i should have seen the low class this guy had and walked out right then. I don't mean to sound like a snob, but no. If you could have felt like i did and have this guy go through this long lists of responsibility and yadda-yadda to be told the position pays crap it would have pissed you off too. Needless to say, I didn't go back. BUT because i am professional, I thanked him for his time, yadda-yadda.......

5 comments:

G-mom said...

It always amazes me the things people do to pre-employees. Back 100 yrs. ago when I went to work for BK & we wore the little orange yellow pantsuits with the tall hat like a go-go dancer style we took a test too. 25 min. of answering ?'s about situations etc. All so I could ask "Do you want fries with that?" & $1.10 an hour. LOL

Anonymous said...

Unreal. I can't believe they did a group interview. I don't know if that even qualifies as an interview! I might have walked out then, but I understand why you stayed.

Mrs. S. said...

When I first started reading this, I thought it was a joke.. Now I'm just really horrified on your behalf...

Anonymous said...

You KNOW that little bastard was the biggest nerd in school. He graduated business college, and was one of the company's very first employees. He has worked his way up form the trudges into management and by gawd that boy is proud as all get out of his job. And you know he'd be the kind of boss to ride you over everything too..."Are you using a blue ink pen today??? You know we prefer black ink right?"

I have had desperate times..don't get me wrong. When I got pregnant I had just quit one of the best jobs of my life..very well paying, good insurance. No rehire policy. Andno one wants to hire you when you are pregnant...too high risk. So I eeked by on unemployment until I had her and then went to work waitressing in a little family diner...2.20 an hour plus tips..and in this place you were lucky to see 20.00 in tips by the end of the day...I bought diapers one day...baby food the next..and I lived day by day like that for more than a year. At that time I had no one but my mother to lean on for help. Those days were mighty humbling...now 15 years later I can barely see myself doing that without telling someone to take a flying leap...Hurrah!! to you for maintaining your dignity!!!! Something will come along..be patient

Finny said...

Yabba

Dabba

DEW


Lookin good in da Neighborhood!!!