CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, February 26, 2007

Train of thoughts leading to Lottery schmottery-ville.

So I'm thinking about something Burg said this morning.
She mentioned that she hated Mondays. And one would prolly conclude that most people hate Mondays, right? Right. But if your Monday was actually a Tuesday, then you would hate Tuesdays. (Like if you had Mondays off and began your work week on Tuesday, duh!) And it got me to thinking if I could pick the perfect work-week. I commented that working from 11 am until like 3ish..... that would be good, but I couldn't afford to live and go, go, go like we do if I only worked part time so its out of the question.

Then that thought shifted me over to having the money to do what we want. I want to win the lottery.
Again, that's a general statement that most would agree with, but truth be told. NO- I DON'T WANT TO WIN THE LOTTERY.

I have in-laws that drove out of state on saturday night because the lottery amount was in the 3 digit millions (I think around 175-180 ish million) and they wanted to purchase tickets. I don't understand that.
I'd like to have about 150k to pay off my house and put some money in a savings, but I have no need for millions. I suppose if I won millions, I would share more than I would want to keep. I have thought about this a hundred times because my hubs likes to play the lottery.

Things that would change if we had millions in the bank-

We wouldn't go camping at the state parks anymore with our friends. We'd prolly be jet settin' all those places we say we want to visit and when we would be in town, we'd have to much money to do all the work of staying in a camper etc. Camping would fade out for us.

We wouldn't have birthday parties in the yard for the kids birthdays. They would be bigger and better, and bigger and better is not always bigger and better..............

We wouldn't hang out at the river anymore. We would own a home on the river and invite people over to enjoy it with us, but would they be coming because they love us or for a free cook-out at my new river house where I worry they will snoop in my bathroom medicine cabinet. Because ya know, rich people have different stuff in their medicine cabinet than poor people.

We'd lose alot of Close friends and gain alot of people we really don't like. Do I really need to say more? Our true friends will think we have become snobs etc. and they wont wanna hang out with us anymore and we'd have all these fakey-friends just lookin' for a hand-out.

We wouldn't go to "wing night" with friends and family anymore. Because we could afford wings any night of the week, we'd prolly be sick of them by Thursday night wing-nights.

Oh, there is so much more that would change...................... those little things we appreciate now, like a Saturday at the river, me and my sis-in-law sharing tanning lotion, hollering at kids to be careful, passing chips around, sassin' about the men who are 10 feet from us hanging around with the other husbands, just soaking up the sun and friendships, wishing we all owned pontoon boats.................. Planning a big camping weekend, inviting others to share our campsites so no one has to fork over a whole 'nother 25 bucks for a site, campers and tents, kids running around everywhere, smores on the fires, babies that are so tired they are delirious, husbands who think beer is water in disguise................... Cold winter Friday nights where we are all huddle next to the bon fire in the yard, talkin' about hunt season, who shot what, when the meat will be ready, how cold it is outside, hollering at kids to go back inside because its cold, smelling that awful smell of wood burning at the end of the night..................... Just sitting on the phone and chatting with my friend about what an ass the hubs is being that day, sipping my toddy's, smoking a cig, chair balancing on back 2 legs, just chattin' up a storm................. Making lists as to who is bringing what to Thanksgiving dinner because its too expensive for one family to prepare everything by themselves...................... Saving and managing to get THROUGH Christmas, 2 birthdays and new years, all in December and wondering how the hell we did it?!

The little things.
I'm afraid all of those would be gone and I would miss them like mad. So if I have a choice, I'd just like about 150k so my house would be paid off and we could take a few more days a year off work to do all those little things. If we ever actually won anymore than that, I suppose we would buy more land, lots of acreage, and share. I've actually heard that winning the lottery is a curse. Stories like this, albeit old, but still. And then there are the average stories like this. They even have studies that want to find out how much money it will take to make you happy.
But for me, Life could not be any better than it is on some of those June Saturdays we have.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen. I agree. I think that getting about 500k would be nice. That would be enough to buy a house, pay off the cars, buy a camper and put enough money in savings just in case. I wouldn't want to retire just yet, I'm still too young and frankly, I like to work. This way, life would not do a complete 180 for me, it would just be even better...Without the stress. Then maybe I would have the money to do what I ENJOY doing in life as a career even if it didn't mean making the money I make now because afterall, I'm only working for the lights, phone, cable, entertainment, etc.

Good post today, hg...got my brain working!

Mrs. S. said...

I'd do the same thing.. Pay off everything and then spend money on everyone else.. Then probably save a great deal of it.

Geez.. When did I get so boring?? There was a time I'd have said that I'd piss it all away on beer, tater tots, and new boots!

G-mom said...

That was beautiful! By the way WHAT are you guys bringing to Thanksgiving day dinner? LOL
Your right, the best parts of life are what you make happen & then figure out how you did it. Again, I agree with your post 110%. So far that is your BEST one.