CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, November 19, 2007

4boy.

I'm having a hard time with 4boy this week. And last. and will probably next week as well, and i cant figure out what what to do or how to handle it.

He's either extremely whiny, regressing into some sorta "baby-hood" or quite the opposite..... extremely defiant, hateful, screaming and running from me.

I received a call this morning from his school teacher. He CHOSE to sit in circle time with his head down and absolutely refused to participate. Even when being told the teacher was going to call his mom if he didnt do so. (Not sure exactly how all that went down) but needless to say, i got the call asking if i would take a moment to speak with 4boy and find out why he refused to participate in the days activities.

I spoke with him, in my best mommy voice, only to receive the answer........"Because its boring mommy...." in HIS sweetest, "save-me" voice. I of course, explained that it was part of his school activities and he had to do it and he said he would. I'm waiting to get "the note" in his back pack today though, hopefully letting me know how the rest of his day went.

4boy is spoiled, i will give you that......... he also has more mothers than he needs because the girls "mother" him as well. The shit i've had to deal with lately is just crazy. He runs from me, hides from me, refuses to eat dinner, sneaks in the Fridge to eat snacks, (throws an ever loving 20 minute fit if I say no)I literally have to fight him to take a shower, he throws shit, kicks shit, calls the girls names...... I could go on and on.

So all day i've been going through his issues in my head trying to figure out what the hell his problem is lately.

Could it be that husband doesnt get home now until 7pm+ and is unable to spend any REAL time with him in the evenings......(He takes him everywhere and spends great time with him on the weekends)

Is it that he's not getting enough sleep/going to bed at a decent hour?

Could it be that 13 has been sleeping in his room lately and throwing him off routine? (4boy has always slept with someone and it gets cold in the addition-room that she sleeps in, so she's been bunking with 4boy) Do I need to stop this?

What about the TV? He has been watching tv lately like a patient in a waiting room! It used to be that he never did, now he's addicted, glued, comes home from school and heads straight for the tv. I admit, it's been a great babysitter, one that i've never had before, but has it gotten out of control? He is usually watching TV when he screams that HE IS NOT EATING DINNER.

What about daycare? Our regular provider has been in and out lately so he's been switched between family members alot after school lately....but i'm home by 3:30, so its only been between 11-3:30...but maybe that could be enough time to "mess him up?"

Or me, Maybe i'm just not consistent enough with him? He's my baby, my last one, and he's pretty much just kinda "gliding through" (He's the baby by 9 years) I read to him at night (Part of his school homework) and we snuggle and love all the time, but i'm not consistent with my discipline......and even I know it.

I cant figure it out. He's literally whining and crying like a baby or screaming and hollering like a banchi. I just dont know..... He refuses to clean his room saying one of his sisters can do it, (And they always have) So i'm stopping that and making him more responsible for himself. Hell, last night he refused to dress himself after his shower. I told him "Fine- sit there with no clothes on" and 5 minutes later he had a sister dressing him. (She didnt know i had told him to do it himself) Maybe i should put him in his room until he does what he is supposed to?

Been there-done that- and watched him destroy his room in anger...... I'm telling you, i have no clue whats gotten into my son lately. It cant be the terrible 4's.... does that even exist? My girls werent like this! Did i spoil him too much, for too long and now i'm paying for it? If so? I'm sorry. I wont do it no-more. Now tell me how to make it right.......

5 comments:

Lauren S. said...

Good luck. I think what you are dealing with is a combo of all you mentioned (change in routine, Dad not home early, bedtime, etc) I am dealing with it with mine and it started before my ordeal. I don't know how to help you, because I cannot get help with mine. I have taken almost everything away from this child that I can imagine (TV, video games, earlier bed, spanking his tail, to just ignoring the fits, etc) and nothing seems to work when he is in one of those moods. I swear he is Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Sweet as pie one minute and mean as a bull the next. He loves me one minute and hates me the next. He is spoiled and I have tried to quit all that. I guess that is part of it. He just turned 6, but starting his fits at 5, so I don't know what to tell you. If you have a magic wand, please send one to me! Seriously. Sometimes I have to go in another room to breathe, because I can't take it. My mother used to tell me "I hope you have a child that did the same things you did" and I see she got her wish!

G-mom said...

ALL you guys have spoiled him. I'm a little guilty.
I also don't think hes' being challenged at school/daycare like he should be. You probably need to go back to a regular daycare. As long as he was learning & active all day he was a lot happier. Remember?
1) Dress himself AM & PM which means you get up early enough to make sure, not the girls.
2)He d/n eat, he d/n eat, Period. Dinner is at XX. If he gets up the meal is over for him. Wrap up if he wants snack bring out dinner. LOL
3)I've had a banana peel lay on my floor for 2 hrs because he w/n pick up & I w/n give him a popsicle till he did.
As far as that bullheadedness HELLO mommy & daddy! Two of the most stubborn people I have ever met. On the other hand he is the most loving,cuddly,sweetest child.
He needs a gmom visit.

G-mom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I think it's all of the above. My daughter (who just turned 5 as you know) had this SAME thing going. She threw fits over everything. She wouldn't clean her room either - her brother would do it. She would pout, refuse to eat, throw tantrums about the smallest things and call hubby and I 'mean' and tell us all the time that we 'weren't her friends anymore.'

I swear to god, a switch flipped or something about a month ago. I sort of mentioned it on my blog - she's been more cuddly, more communicative without being a brat, she even cleaned up her whole room by herself this weekend for the first time. I don't know if it's being five, or what. Even more amazing, we were at Sam's on Sunday and I told the kids I get them a drink if they behaved. They did not, so no drink. She was mad, but silent. No whining. My 7 year old son through a complete shit fit, yelling and slamming stuff (unusual for him.) But I was totally amazed at her behavior and I told her so.

I guess what I'm saying is, I think some of it is the spoiling, change in routine, etc, but some might just be normal 4 year testing his limits stuff. I hope the changes you are making cause a quick turnaround. Lord knows it can be SO frustrating.

Anonymous said...

sh1tsandgiggles.blogspot.com is very informative. The article is very professionally written. I enjoy reading sh1tsandgiggles.blogspot.com every day.
bad credit cash loans
payday loan