I am throwing a baby shower for a needy niece on hubs side of the family. They have nothing, and really, because she's a house hermit, she knows no one. (They moved from 2 states over and have only been here about a year) I've already bought them a stroller, car seat, bouncy thingy, some summer onesies, a couple of blankets and other misc. baby stuff throughout the months, but when it comes to diapers, wipes and you know, the basics, she's without. Hubs nephew works hard but they are that couple you look at and wonder how the hell and why the hell they brought a child into this world when they cant feed themselves.
It is, what it is and their soon to be little girl deserves a decent start, at least.
The kindness within me, (Yes, that's that spot under my pit) has decided to throw her a baby shower. I've never hosted a baby shower before and the ingrates on my
hubs side of the family has offered very little in helping. I have one sis-in-law that is all about helping decorate, but have had no offers in helping with the food or purchase of anything. I am the one throwing it, so maybe i am the shithead in thinking i could really use some monetary help or offers to bring food (i.e. chips, drinks, etc. etc.) but to hell with that part. I've come to terms that it will be me, as it has been in helping her thus far. They just better be bringing gifts for this new baby because THEY ARE NT EATING FOR FREE. I know, i'm a turd.
So now, i ask you, O great ones of the Internet....... I actually plead with you...... tell me about cheap decorations, tell me about cheap appetizer foods and what about those baby games? I need a cool one! If we pull out a roll of toilet paper and have to wrap it around my niece, I'm just not sure if hubs side of the family will still use it to wipe their tush. AND, is it tacky to put a tip-jar on the back of the toilet?
Because i am THAT cheap.
Monday, June 2, 2008
I need your cheap thoughts.......
Posted by kheatherg at Monday, June 02, 2008
Labels: advice, other bloggers
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)
5 comments:
Do you have a "Only a Dollar" store near you? I swear I went in and bought nearly ALL of my wedding stuff there and spent maybe total 50 bucks. They had every color plate, saucer, cup, glass, napkin, silverware and table cloth in various sizes as well (all disposable) I bought window clings, car decorations, gift bags and things to fill with, I also bought hot dogs for a buck. 10.00 for 80!!! They also have games for all kinds of showers. There's always the number on the bottom of the plate...and the diaper pins (everyone gets 5 each and puts them on their shirt...you pick a word (baby related) that no one can say...and every time someone says it...who ever calls it gets their pins...winner is the one with the most at the end of the shower. A diaper the baby contest (baby dolls and paper towels)
Well, I'm doing the cake, I will also do a basket of stuff. Mostly likely Walmart gift card and diapers.
Of course its Friday the 13th which is also my jury duty date....LOL
hi! been in your situation...here is what i did:
no soda, too expensive, only iced tea, lemonade and water
chips (generic brand)
dip (sour cream, store brand, big container, and then the hidden valley ranch party dip)
for some prettier things:
package of flour tortillas
cream cheese mixed with some of the ranch party dip above
the cheapest sandwich meat you can find, the really cheap packs that are like .69, cant remember the name, but the beef works great with this recipe: spread the cream cheese mixture on tortilla, put a slice of the meat or two , roll up and slice into little pinwheels.
or you can go to a local bread outlet and get some loaves, do pimento cheese, that goes a long way and is on the cheap side too!
also, do your own trail mix of sorts, buy a box of raisins, peanuts and package of m & m's...mix together and ready set go!
i know this is getting long, but here is another goodie:
buy a 4 pack of the refrigerated biscuits, some hot dogs, and make little pigs in blankets, serve with ketchup and mustard
cut each hot dog into 2 or 3 pieces, roll in biscuit and bake, each can makes 10, so you end up with 40 for very little money.
as far as the cake: maybe opt for cupcakes from the supercenter...you can get just some generic pink and white icing, a couple dozen and then pick up some sprinkles and add yourself or get some toppers from the dollar tree, i love that store and they have many shower and party decorations, etc.
i ended up giving a shower under similar circumstances and found myself needing some cheaper alternatives for the food etc, so i feel your pain!
as far as decorations: very simple, some paper table cloths from the dollar tree, maybe some fresh flowers from a friends garden or flower bush of some sort, or even bring in some stuffed animals( small one for center piece on each table)
one cluster of balloons for the mommy to be table, let that be her centerpiece. hope all goes well with this...good luck
Anon-
You rock!
What great ideas!
I will be using them!
Anon: O yeah thanks! She is now going to call me and say: "Ma, can you make that stuff Anon commented on my post for the baby shower."
LOL
Post a Comment