CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

The birth of a child brings reflection upon a soul.

Krista became an aunt on Superbowl Sunday! She is an Aunt to a pretty little thing her brother and his wife named Rebecca.

Of course with the birth of a new baby in the family, everyone has gathered around and held and blessed and coo'ed over little Rebecca, and then Krista, who lives 6 hours (+/-) away from her family up here got an email from her dad. One of those emails from your parent that makes you tear up, and realize that your parents wont live forever. I asked her permission to publish it and she told me I could, so i want to share this beautiful email with you, from Krista'a dad to her.


Krista,

ROFLOL.... Of all my kids, you, Krista, are sooo much like me. You may not want to acknowledge that. But, it doesn't change the fact. So!.... From one stubborn/pompous old fart to a stubborn/pompous young fart. Mark my words. Your time will come, Auntie. :)



Life is so, so very short. In youth, it appears to take far longer looking ahead, than in retrospect with some miles under your belt. A simple matter of perspective, I suppose. Not that I totally mind getting older, you understand. Sure... age is accompanied with infirmaries and depreciating abilities, some of which are frustrating. I couldn't hear anything above the 10kHz level. Besides, it took me 12 seconds with my hand tremble to click on the URL to start with... LOL. You should watch me try to butter a piece of toast in the morning. And you guys tease your Mom because of her head shaking. Shame on you. .. LOL. We know we display physical abnormalities. We just do the best we can and try not to let our afflictions bug US. Be nice to old people. Because, with a little luck and the grace of God, you'll be one one day. I say that because, we never truly know how much time we have.



Nearly 60 years ago, in the spring of my life, I started my take-off. Today, I'm quite mindful I have far less runway left than I did even 30 years ago. But, that's ok. That's just part of life and every day, every hour, every minute... is a gift.



Fall has become my favorite season, Krista. The time of harvest, of bountiful fruits. Nights are a little longer and the temps are cooler. Perhaps my view is scewed by my own station in the autumn of life. I see my children entering the early summers of their lives and their children in the beginning of their spring. It's so exciting. I loved the time I spent holding and "cooing" at Rebecca. She's simply precious. Hope you get to see her very soon. Your Mom and I were talking about how much she looks like YOU as a baby. LOL!!! I couldn't believe it.



I don't think one can experience autumn without some degree of melancholy. Because, winter, with it's cold and gray skies, is on the horizon. Searching inward, I don't mind telling you, Krista. As much as I was at loggerheads with them, I really miss my Mom and Dad.



Regardless, right now, the colors are magnificent across this land. As much of it as I see, anyways. It doesn't matter that I can't keep a pat of butter on a knife between the dish and my roll. It doesn't matter that Mom looks like a "bobble head" on the back tray of a sedan going down the road. Life is an incredible journey, even with diminished capacities. Isn't that what it's really all about... the journey? Every destination I've ever been to has always been kind of ... anti-climatic.



How many times have I been to Disney World? The first time was like... WOW!! UNBELIEVABLE!!!! There were many return visits. But the next time I was "WOW_ED", was when I saw it through your eyes. :)



So... there ya go. The Circle of Life... all wrapped up in one neat package. Happy Valentines Day. And remember... I love you and always will.



Dad.

What an awesome email........ But after all that seriousness, she also sent me an email with this little rule in it, and because it ACTUALLY made me laugh out loud, versus just typing LOL, i absolutely had to share it because man-o-man it's true!

New Rule: No more gift registries. You know, it used to be just for weddings. Now it's for babies and new homes, graduations and getting out of rehab. Picking out the stuff you want and having other people buy it for you isn't gift giving, it's the white people's version of looting.

It cracks me up everytime I read it!

1 comments:

G-mom said...

Ditto from Kristas dad to krista to you. LOL No wonder Krista is a little off, she is just like her dad. I loved that e-mail. BUT I will never buy off a registry again. I am so shamed!