CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, October 8, 2007

"A Happy Camping Heather is a happy hunting Hubs" (When momma aint happy, no-ones happy!)

Its been a slow day. I kinda got the sh1ts, but I aint giggling. My tummy is screwing with me a bit today. I'll get through it though.

13 has had a fever on and off for 2 days. Hopefully we've seen the last of it because tonight and tomorrow night are game nights and she really cant miss it.

We spent most of the weekend in the woods setting up our camping spot for this year.

There are 2 designated camping areas within this 3000 acre leased family land and this year, i'm carving out my own little space! In the past, we've just kind of set
up where we saw clear space to fit our 30' camper, but it becomes difficult because we are "dry" camping (No running water and no electricity) and when your too close to someone elses campsite, their generator can and will keep you up at night. This is very much primitive camping unless you have the bells and whistles. I am "country", but i assure you, we have bells and we have whistles! We use our generator and our power inverter. Our camper is a 2006 so it comes with 2 30 gallon tanks of water that we can fill before we leave the house. Once we use that water, of which we have built a tank to dump the gray (shower) water) We will fill a 55 gallon plastic drum full of water and take back into the lease, where our camper is and fill the camper tanks back up.

Lemme 'splain it a bit better.......

See, with no RUNNING water, you have to bring water to use with you. I will keep enough water in my camper tanks to be able to shower, wash dishes, cook with etc. and we are blessed enough (Thanks, best grandparents ever!) to have a generator and the power inverter Hubs parents gave
him last year for Christmas.

Now Granted, you cant run the both of them ALL.THE.TIME. because you'd have NO gas left in the generator and your vehicle battery will become warn, not to mention the gas you will use in the car, but between the two, we have enough electricity to make our meals, having some lights (Besides the fire and lanterns) in the evening hours.

With the camper having a gas stove, gas heater, and gas refrigerator, we have dont have to worry about freezing our fanny's off either. It usually gets in the 30's, if we're lucky........

The kids and I will hang out at camp.....this year i'm teaching the girls to crochet so they can make some pot holders for Christmas gifts, and they will use their portable DVD players and their radio's etc. We will read and relax and enjoy the quiet. 4boy, of course, loves the woods, he always finds something to do, something to scout out, some dirt to get into or the hubs will take him riding with him for a bit. The hubs tends to pop in and out during still hunting season, usually taking the kids off for a couple of hours during the day, but early morning and early evening hours he's in his stand on his own. During Dog running season, we all usually ride along during the day. 95% of the time the kids do really well.

(Well, except for 13 who bitches the.entire.time, because she's bored, or Hot, or cold, or just bitching to hear her own voice (I'm not sure which applies) so this year i've warned her in advance that the rules arent changing, she has to go with us at least half the time and she needs to bring things to help keep her busy and books she can read and magazines and a decent attitude because with 3000 acres, they will never find her!) (LOL)

Nonetheless, we've been clearing the camp area, setting up fire burn piles, maneuvering cook shed areas and gearing up for the winter hunting/camping season. The camper's home will be these woods for the next 3-5 months. Once all is complete, i'm sure i will be sharing pictures with you. We tend to stay "in the woods" (Usually how i respond to moms questions...........Grammice!: "Where ya been all weekend?" Heatherg: "In the woods") We're usually there most weekends for the first month or two and then me and the kids start tapering back mid December, and then we're back again the first of the year. I take that little break so i can get through Christmas.

Speaking of Christmas...... Maybe this is why i start shopping so early? Grammice! has also begun her shopping. From the last posts comments, ya'll are just like a tissue in traffic at Christmas time. Pulling it off by the seat of your pants....huh? I'm in sheer "awe". If i dont start figuring out and planning now, i'm a complete and utter basket case. Amen to ya for being sane enough to pull it off last minute. I've literally begun planning the menu Christmas Day. (I know T-day is First, but Grammice! does T-day, I do Christmas Day Dinner)

I'm a freakin' neurotic.
I know.

3 comments:

G-mom said...

I have a feeling 13 will want to live with me a lot of weekends. We MAY negotiate 1 a month. LOL I would love to be able to go 1 time but MY hubs is so not about the woods! Period!! I think we ought to get boy 4 a GPS bracelet. Really. Daughter will have several "Nazi" episodes prior to Christmas. We will bare with it and she will get a lump of coal....

Anonymous said...

How about those tracking devices they implant in dogs ears?? LOL...this sounds like so much fun...but sooooooo hectic at the same time. If my child doesn't get busy on your page I'm going to give her a new ass crack...she's being lazy now..LOL

Anonymous said...

Camping, yay! How exciting. We are planning some trips coming up soon... GREAT time of year.