CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

What Would U DO?

This is from my oldest, who wants her Belly Button Peirced. We've been having the same conversation about it for 3 months now to no avail. Sometimes i sway towards her line of thinking, sometimes i sway back to my reserved side. Nonetheless, this is what she sent me via email yesterday, preaching her gospel. Some is probably stolen from the internet, but i'm giving her a high-five for at least looking some things up.


mommy-
okay, i took time to write this letter and i did alot of research just read it please......



There are many reasons why I believe I should be able to have the right to do what I want with my body to some extent. I am not asking for a large tattoo on my arm or a nose ring. I am asking for a belly button piercing that will rarely be shown to the public it is only sluttish if you make it look sluttish such as tight shorts or shirt that shows your stomach.. I guess right now you are probably asking "Why would she want one if the majority of the people won't ever see it? To plainly put it, I believe it is a fashion statement and an expression of my individuality. I understand that it is harder for the older generation to comprehend piercing in locations other than the ears. But looking back through history it is obvious that culture has changed significantly since the early and mid 1900s. Society is ever-changing. Twenty to thirty years ago the idea of piercing ones navel was unthinkable, but as those that decided to rebel against society emerged, new fads and styles were developed. In today's culture it is much more common to practice body modification in not only the ears but also the nose, belly button, tongue, eyebrows.... I hope you recognize my maturity in writing this short paragraph and I hope that now you see my opinion on this subject. And if it provides any comfort I'm not planning to attract guys and when were at the beach I can take care of myself and make sure it doesn’t get infected. I really want one and most of my friends have one I can be responsible with this if you give me a chance. I worked my butt off to get everyone’s permission especially troy who only told me to tan with him at the beach and be cautious All I'm trying to say is I really want one you can trust me with this, this is all I want for my birthday besides half my school clothes. So please let me have one…………..mommy please!

As a parent, what would you do? Share your opinion.......

7 comments:

Lauren S. said...

It hurts like holy hell, so let her do it. She cannot wear anything tight around it for several months (even shorts) or it will become infected. I had mine done when I was "of age" and paid for it myself, but it still hurt like holy hell (I 'bout slapped the guy!) and I have a HIGH tolerance for pain! I eventually removed mine. Of course, when she sees the needle, she may change her mind. I don't know though. I just remember arguing with Mom about a haircut and she finally put me in the salon chair to have it done and I changed my mind. I think it was just rebellion. Let me know what happens!!

Anonymous said...

I went through the same thing with my daughter, I told her no and jer swim coach advised her against it and she eventually let it go. Then she asked to get her ear cartlidge (sp?) pierced; she wanted the tragus pierce - go here to view the tragus http://www.iha-online.co.uk/4789.html?*session*id*key*=*session*id*val*

she was relentless about this, so the husband and I deceided to let her. I figured you have to pick your battles. She does well in school, does what is asked of her (at least 90% of the time). Besides, it is a fad and these kids will end up taking the "rings" out sooner rather than later. I say let her get her belly button pierced.

Mrs. S. said...

Is there some persuadeyourparentswithlogicalsoundingletters.com that I didn't know about?

Jessica said...

Well I give her props for her apparent research as well - impressive.

First, I might have missed in previous posts - how old is she?

I got my navel pierced when I was 19 (I'm now 34 and still sport the jewelry)....my mom let me take my little sister when she was 16 to have hers done (she's now almost 26 and also still has her's pierced).

Re: pain - it depends on the piercer...I thought it was painful but my sister did not (different guy did hers) and I think I have a much higher pain tolerance than she does.

Again, I'm interested in knowing her age but, if she's at least 16 (and a generally good kid), I might be willing to let her do it - it isn't something that will mark her body significantly for the rest of her life.

Nobody Important said...

Oh boy...mini wanted a "monroe" piercing last year and it had been in debate with us for a while. I had serious issues about her actually altering her face. But after much discussion decided to let her get one. She does well in school, and doesn't cause any problems. When she was dying her hair hot pink I told people as long as she kept bringing home straight A's I didn't care what color it was..it washes out in 4 weeks. She got the piercing, but I warned her no big or offensive jewelry was to be put in it unless she wanted it ripped out. She has obeyed the rules and only wears tiny little stones in it and it actually doesn't look bad once you get used to it. I think I'd let her do it...go with her, help her pick out the rings to wear, and make sure she keeps it tasteful. Her letter to you was very impressive!!

Shelli said...

Heh - some looks like a direct quote from wikipedia, and I had a slight heart attack at "older generation" - HOLY Smagoley - are we really the "older generation?" ACK!

BUT...

I say go for it. And let this be a trust factor - hold her to her word.

G-mom said...

Well, you know me....I want one too! But alas, g-pop has really put his foot down on this. I mean not just a "no" but a total HELL NO!
I say yes. G-pop says no because he d/n like tattoos (make you look trashy), body piercing (the last 2 holes in my ear making total 4 gave him a meltdown) But to quote g-daughter "how long can g-pop yell".
BTW awesome letter...